Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma
Here's a quick version of the classic street food that is served on pita with tehina. The perfect blend of spices makes this an easy snack or lunch to grab on the go. Shredded cabbage or shepherd's salad, olives, chopped parsley, and feta also make flavorful additions. You can be creative here. Use what ingredients you have on hand!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus extra for the pan
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of red chile flakes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Pita bread
- 1 cup Tehina Sauce See Recipe
- Prepare the marinade for the chicken: Combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, and chile flakes in a large bowl, and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or marinate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly brush a rimmed sheet pan with olive oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the pan, spreading out evenly. Roast the chicken in the oven until browned, crisp at the edges, and cooked through, about 40 minutes. (To make the chicken even crispier, set the pan under the broiler for 5 minutes after roasting.)
- Cool slightly, then slice the chicken thinly or shred with your fingers. Serve on grilled pita with Tehina Sauce.