Moroccan-Style Roasted Carrot Salad with Avocado
With loads of savory spice and a delicious roasted citrus dressing, this happy combination of roasted carrots and raw, shaved carrot threads is very gratifying. You'll want to flavor the carrots with the dressing before roasting and again while they are steaming hot, then toss with sliced avocado and crisp salad greens just before serving.
- 1 pound carrots, about 2 bunches, leafy tops removed, washed, but not peeled
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red or white wine vinegar
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 handfuls mixed salad leaves (arugula or radicchio), washed and dried
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and place all but two carrots on a roasting tray.
- With a mortar and pestle smash the cumin seeds, red chile flakes, and a generous pinch of both salt and pepper. Add the garlic and smash again until you have a paste. Add enough olive oil to generously cover the paste, and pour in a shot of vinegar. This mixture will double as a marinade and dressing. Stir this all together, then drizzle the marinade over the carrots in the tray, coating them well.
- Add the orange and lemon halves to the tray, cut side down. These will roast along with the carrots, and their juice will be used as the dressing. Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until charred.
- While the carrots are roasting, shave the two reserved raw carrots into thin threads with a peeler or on a mandoline into a big mixing bowl. Halve and remove the skin from the avocados, cut and place in the bowl. Remove the roasted carrots from the oven and add them to the avocados.
- Carefully, using tongs, squeeze the juice from the roasted orange and lemon into a small bowl and add the same amount of olive oil and a little shot of red wine vinegar. Season with a generous pinch of both salt and pepper, stir together, and pour this dressing over the carrots and avocados. Add the washed greens, and mix together gently with your hands or wooden mixing spoons, and serve.