Start your day off with a glass of spicy, sweet tangerine juice with a kick of ginger.
This little tonic has been a saving grace for me these past few weeks. The spicy heat of ginger pairs well with the earthy taste of turmeric. To that I add local honey and fresh tangerine juice. It’s what I have been sipping on to put some spring back in my step. Here in Ojai, the orchards are filled with local citrus, many different varieties of tangerine, especially our priced Pixie tangerine. Battling spring allergies, or for whatever reason you too could use a pick me up, this golden elixir is fortifying and boosts your immunity.
Tangerine Ginger-Turmeric Tonic
- 4 cups coconut water or water
- 3-inch piece fresh ginger root, sliced thin
- 2-inch piece fresh turmeric root, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup honey
- Juice of 2 tangerines
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring water to a simmer in a medium saucepot.
- Add ginger and turmeric and simmer covered for at least 20 minutes.
- Stir in honey, tangerine juice, and ground pepper until honey dissolves completely. Ladle into mugs and enjoy warm or over ice.